Everyone can give
Everyone can give, regardless of age, ethnicity, or financial situation. In fact, when it comes to philanthropy, desire is the most significant factor in whether someone donates. With a constant supply of need and the ability, through technology, to give via so many different methods, today's philanthropist has only to want to give, and they can do it.
Let's take a look at some demographics on philanthropy. Below are several statistics we have discovered on Nonprofitssource.com. These stats focus on the philanthropic demographics within the United States.
- Donors 75 years and older constitute 28% of total giving within the U.S., while those under 30 comprise 11%.
- 40% of Millennials, 49% of Generation Xers, and 49% of Baby Boomers engage in philanthropy every month.
- 69% of the total U.S. population donated to charitable causes in 2017. Of all the donations made that year, 64% were contributed by women.
- The older generations give, on average, 25% more frequently than the younger.
- Millennial philanthropists are most likely to give to work-related charitable initiatives. While Baby Boomers are most likely to volunteer their time.
More philanthropy stats
These statistics show that the older we get, the more likely we are to engage in philanthropy. However, there are some other compelling demographics we should review. For example, according to Give.org, more young philanthropists give to charity than ever. The Millennials are also much more conscientious in their giving than previous generations. According to the Give.org survey, half of millennial philanthropists research charitable organizations before donating. These statistics have charities hopeful for more active philanthropy as these younger generations become primary producers.
Mite philanthropic demos
While these latter demographic stats present some encouragement for the future of philanthropy, at Mite, we are interested in serving philanthropists today! Whether a Millennial, Gen Xer, Baby Boomer, or Greater Gen, we are excited to see people give and experience the impact of their philanthropy. Our efforts are making an impact, too!
Some demographic stats on Mite philanthropists:
- Over 20% of the Mite Giving Community is under 30 years old. This is almost double the ratio for philanthropy in the total U.S. population.
- The Mite Giving Community is growing at over 30% annually and maintains a higher ratio of younger philanthropists.
- Mite retains over 75% of the philanthropists engaged in its community annually.
We are definitely excited about the future of philanthropy here at Mite. The most effective way to encourage philanthropy in every generation is through serving donors with a first-class experience, including thorough awareness of the use of the donors' contributions and celebrating the benefit brought through our collective philanthropy. Serving philanthropists in this manner is what Mite does. Join our giving community today and see the difference Mite makes.